English Language teachers abroad
English Language teachers abroad
Looking for a rewarding experience teaching English abroad? Do you have at least three years of teaching experience?
We’re after enthusiastic teachers with all sorts of training and experience, including formal classroom-based, active learning and student-centred experience at primary, secondary and tertiary level.
Discover what it is like to be a volunteer abroad by taking a look at one of our volunteers’ life changing experiences in Papua New Guinea.
Volunteering opportunities overseas for English Language teachers
We’re looking for qualified English language teachers interested in volunteering abroad (primary or secondary school level or EFL trained) with at least three years’ teaching experience.
Successful applicants will have experience of teaching young learners as well as adults. The purpose of these English teaching jobs abroad are to help improve the community in which you are based.
Our volunteer English teacher roles generally range from 1 - 2 years. We have several primary school and secondary school teacher jobs abroad.
At the moment, we have an urgent need to recruit experienced English teachers, particularly to fill our English teacher jobs abroad in Myanmar. Apply today to start a life changing experience by teaching English abroad.
What you’ll be doing as an English teacher abroad
The volunteer opportunities abroad as English language teachers are in teacher training colleges, regional education bureaus and universities. These jobs abroad offer a unique opportunity to integrate into a local community in some stunning rural locations around the world.
- facilitating, coordinating and delivering pre-service and in-service teacher training programmes
- setting up resource centres
- building teachers’ capacity to develop materials using local resources.
Placement for: English Language Improvement Co-ordinator
You’ll work to support an improvement centre within a teacher education institute, developing the English language skills of Ethiopian colleagues, teachers and students.
What does the role involve?:
- Carrying out learning needs assessments and providing methodology training in required areas
- Developing materials for each phase of English Language Improvement Programme training for the various beneficiary groups
- Providing in-service English language improvement training focusing on both proficiency and methodology to trainee students and academic staff in the college; provide in-service English language improvement training to teachers in local primary schools as needed
- Running tutorial programme for female trainee; raising the standard of teaching and improving the confidence of female students in spoken English
- Managing a self-assessment centre for students and academic staff to come in and study English; promoting the centre to maximise its use
- Working with fellow teachers and students to organise an English Day at the college aimed at promoting the use of English
- Supporting the English Department in their daily work for example helping them to create resources, organising methodology workshops.
Skills, qualifications and experience required
You will need Bachelors degree in English, Literature, or Modern Foreign Languages, with a PGCE or qualification in TEFL or related field. You will also need a minimum of three years experience in a formal education setting or in teaching English as a foreign language.
And the rest...
We’ll ask you to commit to 24 months to make a sustainable contribution to improving the English language skills of Ethiopian teachers. In return, we’ll give you comprehensive financial, personal and professional support. We'll provide you with extensive training before your placement, and our financial package includes a local living allowance, return flights, accommodation, insurance and more. When you return home, we'll help you to resettle, and many of our returned volunteers stay involved with us long after their placement ends.