This project is co-funded by the European Union as a pilot action towards the ‘EU Aid Volunteer’ initiative. It is a 9 month volunteering placement with the Pakistan Poverty Alleviation Fund (PPAF) providing
technical expertise and practical support to PPAF’s Disaster Preparedness and Management Unit (DPM). This placement is only open to EU nationals.
- Work with the DPM unit to analyse country emergencies and high risk areas
- Participate as Volunteer with PPAF’s task force team in disaster relief operations during time of natural catastrophes in below narrated activities
- Advise on disaster preparedness, contingency planning and early warning policies, guidelines, operating procedures and work plans
- Assist in implementation of disaster management response plan, including site visits
- Keeping Community Based Disaster Risk Management (CBDRM) training activities data and assist in developing timely reports and documentation
- Developing Information, Education and Communication (IEC) material and disaster management approaches
- Coordination with partner organisations (POs) concerning preparedness training activities (training plans/updates), information sharing, assessment and sharing emergency situations
- Advising POs master trainers for advance simulation exercises
- Formulating disaster situation updates
- Reviewing and modifying the CBDRM completion reports sent through partners
- Liaison and developing linkages with International NGOs, United Nation Organizations, NNGOs and Academic Institutions of international repute
- Knowledge of disaster, disaster management/risk reduction and disaster prevention and mitigation program is preferred
- Excellent English skills written and verbal, presentation skills
- University degree in appropriate related field and discipline
- Experience of planning and managing budget
- Experience of risk mapping, vulnerability and capacity assessment at local/grassroot level
- Experience of writing narrative and financial reports
- Good understanding of SPHERE Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards, Code of Conduct for Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and NGOs in Disaster Relief, Humanitarian Accountability Partnership (HAP) Principles
This placement is based in Islamabad. We’ll ask you to commit to 9 months to make a sustainable contribution to our development goals. In return, we’ll give you comprehensive financial, personal and professional support. We'll provide you with extensive training before your placement, and our financial package includes a local living allowance, return flights, accommodation, insurance and more. When you return to your home country, we'll help you to resettle and many of our returned volunteers stay involved with us long after their placement ends.
This placement is only open to EU nationals. Please quote 'EU Aid Disaster Management Planning Specialist’ on your application.