This project is co-funded by the European Union as a pilot action towards the ‘EU Aid Volunteer’ initiative. It is a 9 month volunteering placement with the National Humanitarian Network (NHN) focusing on working with member Organisations to build the capacity of the network, their staff and national volunteers. It is open to EU nationals only.
NHN was established in 2010 by national NGOs with a mission to act as an independent and vibrant voice to engage with stakeholders throughout Pakistan for promotion of humanitarian values by influencing policies and building capacities to ensure right based humanitarian response.
- To improve coordination and planning capacity of NHN member organisations in Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and Disaster Management (DM) in Pakistan
- To develop and suggest effective coordination mechanisms for improvement in internal and external coordination
- To develop a volunteer mobilisation strategy
- To increase volunteer management capacity of NHN member organisations and volunteer mobilisation in Pakistan
- To strengthen coordination (horizontal as well as vertical) and resource sharing with other humanitarian networks, agencies and stakeholders, both government and civil society
- To assist NHN member’s organisations to develop volunteer hosting capacity and own a volunteer mobilisation resource for registering volunteers able to support in a crisis and a communication system to mobilise them effectively
- Formulate and complete a real time research study as defined and agreed with the VSO Country Director
- A degree in social sciences; DRR/DM related preferred
- Disaster Risk Reduction/humanitarian aid/social development skills/competencies
- Organisational development skills, preferably in the NGO/development sector
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills and excellent command of English (both oral and written)
- Understanding of the development context: Have some basic knowledge about development in a developing country experiencing significant natural and man-made disasters
- Ability to work within strict security boundaries, which may include sharing accommodation and living in a compound, when visiting field locations outside of Islamabad
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as most communication will be done at a distance (via emails, Skype, etc). Urdu language skills would be an advantage
- Able to work in a team with staff from diverse national and cultural backgrounds in a productive and mutually supportive environment
This placement is based in Islamabad. We’ll ask you to commit to 9 months to make a sustainable contribution to our development goals. In return, we’ll give you comprehensive financial, personal and professional support. We'll provide you with extensive training before your placement, and our financial package includes a local living allowance, return flights, accommodation, insurance and more. When you return to your home country, we'll help you to resettle and many of our returned volunteers stay involved with us long after their placement ends.
Please note this is open to EU nationals only; please quote ‘EU Aid Disaster Management Specialist' on your application.